I mentioned a while back that I recently revisited an old project and decided I could make it shine. I’m well into that project now and really enjoying repairing (restoring) this story. The first thing I did was to create an Excel spreadsheet to list all the chapters, what happens in each, and what date they occur. Then I created a spreadsheet for the characters, listing their physical descriptions and importance to the story. I’m told the Scrivener software does this, too, but I already have Excel.
Here’s why it was so important to use Excel. Today I remembered that the main character had sisters in the earlier draft, but I decided he needed only one sister. And that sister’s husband gets him a job at one point. So it was easy to use Excel to track where in the story all the references to sisters are, and update the manuscript. It was really easy to see where all these characters were and easy to make changes. I love Excel.